I know that many people waited long time to find out when RichFaces 4 will be released. Last week Jay Balunas announced the release schedule leading to RichFaces 4 GA release.
- October, 2010 : 4.0.0.Milestone3 In Development
- November, 2010 : 4.0.0.Milestone4
- December, 2010 : 4.0.0.Milestone5
- January, 2011 : 4.0.0.CR1
- January, 2011 : 4.0.0.CR2
- February, 2011 : 4.0.0.Final
Although we all wanted, including myself for RichFaces 4 to be released sooner, the new schedule will ensure that all the components are of highest quality and well tested. Something that you would expect from RichFaces:
Can you start using RichFaces 4 today? Absolutely. The latest version is milestone 2. Almost all the core features are already there and many components have been migrated as well. I have been using it for some time. As I blogged before, RichFaces 4 is a major upgrade:
- Ajax framework improvements extending the JSF 2 specification
- Component review for consistency, usability, and redesign following semantic HTML principles
- Both server-side and client-side performance optimization
- Strict code clean-up and review
- New and easy to use CDK (Component Development Kit)
I think it’s well worth the extra wait.