IBM Developer SF hosted over 100 online meetups in the past two years and I also shared how to scale Developer Relations with online meetups. In this blog post I want to share what works for us, how we run the online meetups, what we do before, during and after the event. Pick what you believe will work for you.
Before the online meetup
This is what we do or try to do before an online meetup.
- Publish the online meetup 3-4 weeks before the event (like a regular in-person meetup)
- Promote the event via regular channels such as Twitter, LinkedIn (like a regular in-person event)
- If hosting an event with a partner, ask them to promote the online meetup to their community
- Publish on Meetup, Eventbrite or any other platform you usually publish events on
- A note about Meetup: they seem not to like when people post to many online events but I don’t know their official policy on that
- Make it clear where to register for the online event
- If the event is with a remote employee or external partner, schedule 15 minutes dry-run a few days before to make sure the software you are using works for them and they can share their screen